Marpac Dohm-DS All-Natural White Noise Sound Machine
- Sound Quality
- Blocks Out External Noise?
- Ease of Use
This dual speed white noise machine is a great choice for anyone that needs a little background noise to nudge them into sleep. It’s a premium product — with a matching price tag — but easily creates a relaxing environment and blocks out all but the loudest of external noises.
Have you tried out the Marpac Dohm DS white noise machine yet?
You might be wondering why someone would buy an expensive white noise machine when they could just buy a cheap digital track of white noise or relaxing music to fall asleep to instead.
Well, with a white noise machine, you’re getting real, live noise — that means no repetitions or track changes — with no digital intervention. That means you can keep your sleeping environment serene and natural.
This Marpac Dohm-DS white noise machine is one of the premier products in this market. Let’s find out more…
This is the tan color model.
- Product Dimensions: 5.8 x 5.8 x 3.8 inches
- Item Weight: 1.3 pounds (ships at 2 pounds)
- Voltage: 120 V
- Power Cord: 8 foot
- Warranty: 1 year limited
Also available in black and white.
As you’d expect from a product commanding this premium price tag, the Marpac Dohm-DS white noise machine is blessed with a number of attractive features.
- Customizable sound: The dual speed motor and adjustable acoustic housing allow you great freedom to choose the tone and volume that best works for you
- Totally natural: There’s no digital recordings or loops here: the asymmetrical fan simply produces the ‘shhh’ sound of a fan with no air disturbance or the usual clanking and vibrations that a fan usually makes
- Compact: It’s very small and light so doesn’t take up too much room on a bedside table or dresser, and is easily transported for travel
- Blocks out most noise: From a snoring partner and TV noise inside to traffic sounds and barking dogs outside
- Suitable for all the family: From babies to grandparents
- The official sound conditioner of the National Sleep Foundation
- Two speeds: Just flick a switch to choose high or low
- Energy efficient: It’s not going to make much of an impact on your electricity bill, even if you leave it on all day, everyday
- The rushing fan noise produced is innocuous enough to almost be hypnotic, lulling you into a state of sleep
- Made in the USA, sturdy and durable
- Can’t block out every noise – loud bass music, for instance, or arguing neighbors
How Does it Work?
The first thing worth saying about the Marpac Dohm-DS white noise machine is that it has an impressive pedigree:
- Originally produced in 1962
- Now in its 4th generation
- Named the ‘official sleep conditioner’ of the National Sleep Foundation.
So what does this all mean? It works. And it has done for ages.
Remember: this is not a pre-recorded tape simply on a white noise loop. This is an actual fan making soothing fan noises, just without the usual air disturbance.
Like with a normal fan, you’ve got the choice of two speeds: high and low, which can be chosen with a flip of the switch.
You can continue to adjust the volume and the tone of the noise by turning the outer casing to your desired levels too.
One of the best things about the Marpac Dohm-DS white noise machine is the fact that it’s so small and light.
It fits easily onto most bedside tables, dressers and even window sills. And at only 1.3 pounds, it’s not going to send you into extra baggage territory when you’re travelling!
Whether you want to provide your baby with some soothing noise that blocks out the outside world, use it to fall asleep at unusual times for shift work or simply just as some background noise to fall asleep to, this Marpac Dohm-DS white noise machine will doubtless work for you.
It’s particularly good at masking outside traffic noises, TV programmes and even light snoring from a nearby partner.
But, it’s not a miracle worker. Loud thumping bass music above? A trombone recital in your en-suite? You might need to invest in some ear plugs as well.
Are you tempted to try the Marpac Dohm-DS All-Natural Sound Machine?