Have you considered buying a pregnancy pillow yet?
The further your pregnancy advances, it’s inevitable that your belly will grow along with your baby, and it can be difficult to find comfortable positions in which to sleep.
Pregnancy pillows are specially designed to support the body when sleeping on your side, cradling your bump and preventing you from tossing and turning all night in an effort to get comfortable.
A pregnancy support pillow can provide a sleep solution to enable you to sleep well and stay healthy for you and your baby.
But, as with all things baby related, there are a huge number of different products on the market, which can easily lead to you feeling overwhelmed. Which is the best for you? Do you even need one?
We’ve compiled this complete guide to pregnancy pillows to help ensure you make the best choice for you and your baby.
Let’s take it away…
- 1 What is a Pregnancy Pillow?
- 2 Does Every Woman Need a Pregnancy Pillow?
- 3 Best Pregnancy Pillows
- 3.1 PharMeDoc Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
- 3.2 Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow
- 3.3 Queen Rose Full Pregnancy Body Pillow
- 3.4 Restorology Full 60-Inch Body Pregnancy Pillow
- 3.5 ComfySure Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
- 3.6 Dream Premium U Shape Comfortable Pregnancy Pillow
- 3.7 Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow
- 3.8 Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge
What is a Pregnancy Pillow?
Aside from helping you to get a good night’s sleep, there are numerous other benefits for women using a pregnancy pillow.
Sleeping is notoriously difficult for pregnant women and unfortunately only gets harder throughout the pregnancy. Not only do you have to accommodate an evolving body shape, but you need to bear in mind the needs of your baby as you sleep.
One of the major benefits of using a pregnancy pillow is the ability to sleep on your side.
This can increase blood circulation, which is good news for both you and your baby. Increased blood flow will also help relieve the aches and pains of pregnancy and hopefully stave off any nasty cramps too.
These uniquely shaped pillows will also give you the necessary comfort and support to relieve body, neck and back pain and cramps, and reduce the weight you’re bearing on sensitive pressure points.
Pregnancy pillows come in various different shapes and sizes, the most common shape being a sort of ‘U’ which allows you to pass your head and arm through and put the body of the pillow between your legs, leaving the middle part to safely support your stomach.
Alternatively a small, simple wedge pillow can be used in various different ways to offer support, such as being placed underneath the tummy or back, or even underneath your head to help prevent acid reflux.
Another option is the full length cylindrical or rectangular pregnancy pillow which can be straddled or bent into pretty much any shape you need to get comfortable.
If possible, we’d actually recommend buying a suite of different pregnancy pillows — you’ll find that your comfort and support needs change dramatically over the course of your pregnancy, and therefore you’ll be requiring different types of pillow.
Does Every Woman Need a Pregnancy Pillow?
If you are a pregnant mother who struggles to find a comfortable position in which to sleep, a pregnancy pillow is definitely recommended.
They are also a good solution for pregnant women who are anxious about disturbing their partners during the night due to excessive tossing and turning, or even snoring.
Women who suffer from back or other joint pain during pregnancy will also benefit, as good quality products can effectively alleviate these unwelcome side effects.
Most pregnant women tend to find that these specialist pillows are most useful from around 20 weeks into the term, although there is no right or wrong time to start using one.
Take a look at this video of one woman’s experiences using a pregnancy body pillow:
An added bonus of a pregnancy pillow is that it can also be used as a nursing pillow after the birth of your baby, so you can really make the most of your investment.
You are the only person who knows whether you need a pregnancy pillow. If you’re feeling comfortable and supported with your current bed set up then you may be lucky enough not to have to buy extra accessories. The benefit of being able to buy them online means that they can be at your doorstep within 24 hours if you do start to suffer.
Read on to discover the best pregnancy pillows available right now…
Best Pregnancy Pillows
This ‘C’ shaped pregnancy body pillow by PharMeDoc offers total body support in various positions.
Made with a soft and washable hypoallergenic cotton cover and filled with comfortable supportive chemical free polyfill foam, this pregnancy pillow can be used as a backrest, but is best used when curled around the body and placed between the legs for maximum support when side sleeping.
One of the things that mothers love about this pillow is the fact that they can use it after birth for feeding and nursing thanks to its wonderful cocoon-style shape.
- Very comfortable and completely does away with the need for other pillows
- Gives excellent tummy support, as well as for back, knees, hips, neck and head
- The large size means that this will fit most body shapes and sizes
- Effective aid for sleep
- Machine washable
- Free from phthalates, latex, lead and BPA
- Pillow is large and takes up a lot of room on the bed
One of the best pregnancy pillows on the market, the 60 inch long Leachco Snoogle has a long open ‘C’ shape which either curves round the spine, or when flipped over slips between the legs to provide comfort and support for the entire body.
The soft polyester/cotton blend cover can be removed for washing, and it is possible to buy additional covers separately.
This pregnancy body pillow was actually designed by a mother and registered nurse so you know that you’re in experienced hands with this product. Plus, it’s available for an excellent price.
- Provides good support for hips, back, neck, and tummy
- Very comfortable
- Machine washable cover
- Firm yet flexible
- Maintains good airflow and stays cool
- Great value for money
- Free from phthalates, latex, lead and BPA
- Pillow cover can be a little tricky to remove and replace
This pillow allows for multiple positions and can be used not just for sleeping but also for sitting comfortably and breastfeeding.
At 55 inches long it gives total body support and is filled with a dense, chemical free foam filling to give just the right level of firmness. The 100% cotton cover can be unzipped and removed for machine washing.
- Especially effective for easing hip pain
- Lightweight and durable
- Great ergonomic design
- Machine washable cover
- Doesn’t take up much room on the bed despite large and generous size
- Can be used in multiple positions
- Filling needs to be regularly plumped up to prevent it flattening
Another popular ‘C’ shaped pregnancy pillow, the Restorology Full 60-Inch Body Pregnancy Pillow is specially contoured to follow the natural shape of the body for maximum comfort and support.
This pregnancy pillow design gives excellent head and back support, and is designed to help prevent and relieve sciatica, heartburn and lower back pain. It’s also easy to clean thanks to the removable, zippered cotton cover.
While pregnant women are the natural audience for the Restorology Pillow, it’s actually proven to be a cult favorite among people suffering from back pain as well.
- Comes with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee
- Machine washable cover
- Effectively keeps the back correctly aligned
- Helps relieve back pain and sciatica
- Good for lessening heartburn
- Not quite as supportive for the whole body as some of the other pillows on this list
This full body maternity pillow can be used in a wide variety of sitting and lying positions to provide support for the tummy, neck and arms.
The ‘U’ shaped design is created from a totally hypoallergenic polyester, and the long 59 inch length is perfect for most body sizes.
The filling is of medium firmness, and the zippered cover can be washed on the cold cycle in the machine — there’s even an additional cover included so you don’t have to wait for the first one to dry before using your pillow.
Like many of the other pregnancy pillows on this list, this product will be an effective aid for nursing and feeding after birth as well.
- Offers great comfort
- Versatile design
- Affordable price
- Good size
- Good quality
- Comes with bonus replacement cover
- Good for relieving sciatica and gastric reflux
- Could be more durable — the pillow lining is a little delicate
Another top rated body pillow for pregnancy, the Dream Premium U Shape Comfortable Pregnancy Pillow encourages deep sleep owing to the ingenious contoured design which provides support for the entire body — especially the back and tummy areas.
The premium cotton filling is soft and fluffy, and there is also a breathable inner cover to promote air flow.
The outer cotton cover has a double zipper to make it super easy to remove and wash in your machine.
This will also double up as a handy nursing pillow too.
- Can be used for sleeping, reading or nursing
- Easy to clean
- Effectively reduces aches and pains and relieves joint pain
- Supports back and tummy well
- ‘U’ shaped design means there is no need to flip the pillow over when changing sides
- 100% cotton cover
- Not as thick and luxe as the other pregnancy pillows on this list
Uniquely designed to offer maximum support to the back and stomach simultaneously, the Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow also keeps hips aligned and curves comfortably around the whole body.
The design also allows for an elevated head position by overlapping the two ends.
It’s slightly more expensive than many of the other pillows on this list, but it does have some real design benefits that ultimately result in more comfort and support for you.
The pillow is made from high-grade, chemical free, warm polyester, with a removable cotton cover that can be machine washed.
- Clever, effective design
- Soothes joints and muscles
- Soft, comfortable and breathable
- Chemical free
- Provides total body support, including for the head
- Available in two colors: white and tea
- Effectively aligns hips and spine
- The inner seam at the top of the pillow may irritate the shoulder of taller sleepers
This wedge shaped pregnancy pillow is double sided to give firm memory foam support on one side and a softer foam support on the other side.
This design can be pushed under the belly when lying on your side to support the bump, or be positioned behind the back or between the knees for better hip and spine alignment.
The foam and removable washable cover are free from any nasty chemicals, and the compact design means that this maternity pillow can simply be rolled up and stored in its bag for travelling.
This is a great buy for pregnant women who don’t need the full support of a pregnancy body pillow, or those on a stricter budget.
- Easy to clean and store
- Portable and ideal for when you’re on the move
- Gives good support to tummy, back and knees
- Two sided design for adjustable comfort
- Foam is cool to the touch
- Great price
- Super soft plush velboa cover
- No full body support
- Small size means that it can move out of place easily
What’s your pick for the best pregnancy pillow?
Please note, this site is part of the Amazon Associates Program as well as several other affiliate programs. Our posts contain affiliate links where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay, but it does help us to keep the site running! Please refer to our earnings disclosure for more information.