If an uncomfortable mattress is keeping you awake at night, it could be time to invest in the best latex mattress topper.
These products can totally transform a bad mattress, adding a much-needed layer of support and comfort, and totally revolutionizing your sleep environment.
Cheaper than a mattress but a powerful tool for a good night’s sleep, it’s no wonder that so many people swear they can’t sleep without their latex mattress topper (including this writer!).
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of toppers flooding the market right now and, unfortunately, not all are created equal. We’re here to sort the wheat from the chaff and help you decide which product is the best latex foam mattress topper for you.
Let’s take it away…
Benefits of Latex Mattress Toppers
Before you decide to splash the cash on a new purchase, you’re probably wondering what the tangible benefits of a latex mattress topper are, and how latex compares to other topper materials.
We’ll compare the differences between latex and memory foam — the two most popular mattress topper materials — below.
In the meantime, these are the benefits you can expect from using a high quality latex topper:
Latex is one of the coolest materials to sleep on as it breathes and doesn’t trap heat like foam. This breathability also ensures that moisture, like sweat, is eliminated quickly and effectively, leading to a more comfortable sleep environment.
Latex is resistant to dust mites, mildew and mold.
Suitable for Overweight and Obese People
Unlike foam which molds to the body of the sleeper, latex is a flexible material that will continue to bounce back and support your body, no matter how much pressure you exert on it. Foam can easily stay in a depressed shape and have to be regularly replaced if it’s confronted with the same level of pressure.
Long Shelf Life
Following on from the above point, latex toppers are sturdy and durable and generally last much longer than their foam counterparts.
Eco-Friendly and Toxin Free
If you choose a natural latex mattress topper, you will usually be choosing the best product for both your health and the environment. Natural latex is biodegradable and free of any toxic chemicals.
General Benefits of Mattress Toppers
Of course, all the benefits listed above are in addition to the many general benefits of using a mattress topper, regardless of what material it’s made from.
These benefits include:
- Increased support: toppers provide an extra layer of support to help align your spine and neck.
- Increased comfort: they also provide a extra layer of comfort that can range in softness according to your needs.
- Cheap: buying a mattress topper is a cheaper alternative to upgrading your mattress.
- Increased mattress life: adding a topper extends the life of your mattress and decreases the risk of general wear and tear.
Latex vs Memory Foam Toppers
The two most popular and common materials in mattress toppers are memory foam and latex.
Both have a number of benefits, but there are a few subtle (and not so subtle) differences that make latex more appealing to sleep hackers.
While both mold to your body and enable you to find the right level of support and comfort, memory foam is notorious for retaining body heat and having an initial chemical smell for the first few weeks after unpacking.
Unlike memory foam, latex toppers are great if you suffer from allergies, as latex repels dust mites and can help to minimise allergic reactions. They’re also firmer than memory foam but manage to feel as soft.
Basically, a latex topper offers you more benefits — hence why it’s our favorite type of topper.
Now, without further ado…
The Best Latex Mattress Toppers
We’ve selected our top 5 in the battle for the best latex mattress topper.
All 5 of these products are the best on the market. We’ve tried to provide you with the best and most balanced information, so have a compiled a list of both their positives and negatives to help you make the best buying decision for you.
OrganicTextiles Certified Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Made from certified organic latex with an organic cotton covering, this 2-inch thick latex mattress topper boasts higher durability and over 40% better pressure point relief than most other toppers on the market.
It’s free from chemical additives and harsh dyes, and guarantees to be hypo-allergenic, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial and dust mite resistant.
Furthermore, this topper conforms to your body shape, caresses your spine and provides ample neck support for a truly holistic sleeping experience.
One of the best things about latex is how breathable it is — OrganicTextiles have compounded this further with their pin hole design for extra ventilation. No more sweating in bed!
- Certified organic and natural; made from eco-harvested rubber tree
- Hypoallergenic, anti-microbial, anti-fungal and dust mite resistant
- Ultra durable
- No chemical additives
- Extra ventilation for a cool night’s sleep
- Luxury organic cotton cover
- Solid edges provide double strength
- Added neck support and 40% pressure point relief
Check Today’s Price on Amazon
- On the firm side — may not be suitable for people who prefer a softer night’s sleep
Serenia Sleep Dunlop Latex Mattress Pad Topper
With a promise to extend the life of your mattress, this deluxe 2-inch natural latex mattress topper is made from 100% natural latex and has a supportive yet soft feel.
Complete with air ventilation holes and Dunlop latex that conforms to the body’s contours, you can enjoy a dry and comfortable sleep. It’s also hypo-allergenic, dust mite resistant and easy to spot clean.
Serenia Sleep market this as an ‘easy flip’ mattress topper that can be quickly turned over for increased longevity and freshness. If you’ve ever tried in vain to flip over a heavyweight topper, you’ll know just how valuable this is.
- Made from natural latex taken from the sap of rubber trees
- Strikes the right balance between soft comfort and firm support, relieves pressure points
- Easy to spot clean
- Air hole ventilation system ensures a cool night’s sleep
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Comes with a stretch knit poly cotton cover
- Easy to flip over
Check Today’s Price on Amazon
- The cover can’t be removed for separate machine washing (although it can be easily spot cleaned)
- Corners and sides aren’t reinforced — take care not to roll out of bed!
Dreamfoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Latex Medium Mattress Topper
Completely encased in a natural bamboo fabric, this topper is made from talalay latex.
Talalay is softer than traditional dunlop latex mattress toppers and usually more lightweight, while still providing a degree of support. The manufacturers claim that talalay latex can provide up to 33% better pressure point relief than normal foam toppers.
This particular topper is 3 inches thick and is available in different firmness options: Soft (19 ILD) or Medium (28 ILD).
Resilient and with a luxuriously soft feel, this topper will not sag, bunch or flatten after long term use.
One thing to note is that this isn’t 100% natural latex — it’s a blend of synthetic and natural. This might be worth considering if you suffer from allergies.
- Super soft and luxury feel
- Great for supporting and alleviating pressure points
- Bamboo cover can be removed for easy washing
- Retains its integrity without sagging or bunching up over time
- No odor upon unpacking
- Choice of firmness levels
- Talalay latex is 4 x more ventilated than usual latex so expect a cool and dry night’s sleep
Check Today’s Price on Amazon
- Not 100% natural
- Not hypoallergenic
Sleep On Latex Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Available in 1, 2 or 3 inches of thickness, this topper is ideal for providing localized support and improving the feel of your mattress.
It claims to be made with the greenest and most eco-friendly latex foam on the market and offers outstanding comfort in any sleeping position — even side sleepers will love it. Could this be the best latex mattress topper on the market?
As well as being hypoallergenic, this topper is made from 100% natural latex and sleeps cool.
- Made from 100% natural latex with no fillers or synthetic materials
- Varied thickness and firmness level options
- Suitable for all sleeping positions
- Hypoallergenic, anti-microbial and dust mite resistant
- Sleeps cool with an air hole ventilation system
- Very well rated with lots of positive reviews on Amazon
Check Today’s Price on Amazon
- Doesn’t come with a cover
- Not as good as others in this list for alleviating pressure points
So, now you know which products are in the running for the best latex mattress topper, you should be able to decide which one is best suited to your needs.
For our money, we think the OrganicTextiles and Dreamfoam Bedding toppers are the ones for us — but all of these will help you achieve a good night’s sleep.
We hope you’ve found our Best Latex Mattress Toppers post helpful. Looking for alternatives? Be sure to visit our mattress topper reviews section for other great options
Please note, this site is part of the Amazon Associates Program as well as several other affiliate programs. Our posts contain affiliate links where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay, but it does help us to keep the site running! Please refer to our earnings disclosure for more information.