Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
One of the most neglected tenets of a good night sleep is making sure that you’re sleeping in high quality air.
And how do you do that, you might ask? Easy — by buying the best dehumidifier for the bedroom.
Humidity levels in your bedroom can either make your sleep and air quality better, or in some cases, worse.
To keep your humidity levels in check and ensure great sleep night after night, we recommend that you follow the increasing number of people who are choosing to buy a dehumidifier.
There are truckloads of products on the market — we’ve compiled an in-depth buying guide and a list of the best bedroom dehumidifier reviews so you can make the right buying decision for you.
Let’s take it away…
- 1 Why Use a Bedroom Dehumidifier?
- 2 How Do Dehumidifiers Work?
- 3 What Makes the Best Bedroom Dehumidifer?
- 4 The 5 Best Bedroom Dehumidifier Reviews
- 5 Conclusion
Why Use a Bedroom Dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier is a machine that draws in excess moisture from the air.
Too much humidity and moisture in your bedroom can lead to problems like mildew, mold, viruses, dust mites and even respiratory problems — definitely not what you want when you need a good night’s sleep.
If you live in a hot and humid climate — or just a humid one at that — a bedroom dehumidifier is a must-buy.
Experts suggest that bedrooms require around 30-50% humidity all year round to be considered quality air for sleeping. Generally, we expect high humidity in Spring and Summer with much lower levels during Winter and Fall (you might want to look into a humidifier unit for those months!).
The best bedroom dehumidifier will control the humidity levels and maintain them at the ideal level, while also reducing irritation to your respiratory system and skin, helping you to breathe easier and be more comfortable in the bedroom.
You don’t even have to worry about noise, as they run quietly in the background.
If you use an air-conditioning system for your home, a dehumidifier should also help to lower your energy costs. Air conditioners have to work hard on their own to cool the air and remove moisture but your unit will last longer and run more efficiently with a little help from a dehumidifier.
It also means you’ll save money on air conditioner system repairs and replacements in the long run. Ideal!
How Do Dehumidifiers Work?
If you’re anything like us, you’ll be curious to know the mechanism of how a dehumidifier actually gets to work.
It’s pretty simple:
- A fan within the dehumidifier brings the humid air inside the unit
- The air passes over cold pipes within the unit that cools the air and withdraws the moisture
- The caught moisture attaches to the cold pipes and drips down into the dehumidifier’s bucket
- The original air passes over different, warmer pipes in order to go back to its original temperature
- Another fan blows the dehumidified air back out into your bedroom, usually through a clear air filter
You’ll need to periodically empty the bucket at the bottom of the dehumidifier as it fills up with the excess moisture that it draws from the air.
If you’re more of a visual learner, take a look at this video about the ins and outs of how dehumidifiers work:
What Makes the Best Bedroom Dehumidifer?
There are a few features to look out for to help you spot a good dehumidifier for your needs and home.
Firstly, you need to make sure that it’s big enough. We don’t necessarily mean its physical size, but rather its capacity.
Dehumidifiers measure their capacity in the number of pints of air they’re able to process per day. The bigger your bedroom, the bigger capacity you’ll need — whereas smaller bedrooms can get away with smaller machines.
There are tiny dehumidifiers available on the market for the smallest rooms: they’re cheap, small enough to fit on your bedside table and quiet as a whisper.
At the other end of the spectrum, you’ve got large dehumidifier units that are able to handle the largest of rooms. Of course, you’ll need space to store them and they might be a little louder than the tiny bedside units, but hopefully the size of the room should help you out with that!
Looking at Amazon reviews — or whatever marketplace you choose to buy from — to see what previous buyers have said about the product you’ve got your eye on. This is especially important when it comes to the noise factor of the dehumidifier. If it’s going to be noisier than your air-conditioning, you may want to think twice. There’s no point in improving your bedroom’s air quality if it’s going to be too noisy to sleep!
Other things to look out for are maintenance requirements and ease of use.
Most modern dehumidifiers for the bedroom have an LED display and a few intuitive buttons to help you get the machine up and running in minutes. If the dehumidifier requires programming, make sure that you’re not buying one that’s too difficult to set up.
A good rule of thumb when buying these industrial products is to buy from big name brands with plenty of heritage and experience behind them. You can usually rely on these dehumidifiers to get the job done and be as durable as can be.
The 5 Best Bedroom Dehumidifier Reviews
Now that we know exactly what we should be looking for, it’s time to analyze 5 of the best bedroom dehumidifiers on the market right now.
These range in size, capabilities and price points, so you should be able to find the best model for your particular circumstances.
This powerful dehumidifier from Ivation can remove up to 30 pints of moisture each day — an ideal size for medium and large bedrooms.
It’s relatively low maintenance and comes with a bright LED display to indicate the programmable humidistat setting, fan speed, timer and more. You simply plug it in, choose your setting and leave it to do its job.
Like the best bedroom dehumidifier should be, it’s certified by ENERGY STAR for eco-efficiency. Always a good sign for your energy bills!
- Easy to operate with an LED display
- Energy Star certified for eco-efficiency
- Very efficient and effective
- Adjustable humidity settings, fan speeds, timer and filters
- Relatively compact despite high capacity
- Has caster wheels for easy transportation between rooms
- Has auto-defrost and auto-restart settings
- Automatic shut-off when bucket is full
- Runs relatively quietly
- Can warm up the room a little as it runs
Considered by many to be the best small dehumidifier, this Pictek model is ideal for small bedrooms, and benefits from whisper technology for a sound sleeping experience.
Once the water capacity is reached, it shuts off automatically and reminds you that the removable tray needs emptying with a neat LED light. It’s also low maintenance, easy to use and lightweight — great for travelling.
- Intelligent automatic shut off
- LED light reminder to empty the bucket
- Whisper technology means it operates at under 35 DB — practically silent!
- Lightweight and compact at just over 2.5 lbs
- Comes with a 12-month warranty and 30-day money back guarantee
- Easy to use with just one on/off button
- Has a 500ml bucket capacity and works at a rate of 250 ml a day
- Only suitable for very small bedrooms
This is another product that is consistently rated as the best small dehumidifier. It may be small but it has a long lifespan and is super easy to use.
The water bucket can hold 20 oz and it has a 8.5oz daily capacity, a little more than the Pictek above. It’s compact size means that it’s only suitable for bedrooms up to 1,100 cubic feet in size. It also features an auto shut off and an LED indicator to remind you to empty the tank, as well as benefiting from advanced peltier technology, keeping operation whisper quiet.
- Automatic shut off when the water tank is full
- LED light indicator to remind you to empty it
- Runs super quiet
- Compact and lightweight at 2.8lbs
- Only good for small bedrooms
- Comparatively quite slow at extracting moisture
Capable of extracting 70 pints a day, this product from Frigidaire is a real beast — no wonder so many people view it as the best bedroom dehumidifier!
It comes with effortless humidity control and a low temperature option to help you save energy and money. The ready-select electronic controls also include a 24-hour on and off timer and control lock. Complete with top and side handles and caster wheels, it’s super easy to transport this dehumidifier between the rooms of your house.
- Runs reasonably quietly
- Easy to use stop/start feature and ready-select electronic controls
- Low temperature option helps to reduce energy costs
- Portable with handles and caster wheels
- Capable of continuous operation when near a suitable drain
- 24-hour on/off timer
- Easy to get a digital humidity read out
- Very effective and efficient
- It’s very easy to spill the water when you empty the water tank
This is another of the best small dehumidifiers, that’s really popular thanks to its easy, dry operation and super low price.
Using renewable silica gel technology, you don’t ever need batteries or power to silently absorb moisture from your bedroom with this revolutionary dehumidifier. Once the crystals have changed from orange to green, simply plug it in for up to 8 to 10 hours. Not only can this process be repeated for up to 10 years, but you can also forget about spills and refills.
- Child and pet safe
- Works for up to 10 years
- Completely silent operation
- No spills or refills
- Non toxic
- Plug-in recharge feature
- Comes with hanging hook so it can be attached to the wall
- 5-year warranty
- Very low cost
- Also good for boats, RVs, garden sheds and other small spaces
- Has to be recharged around every 3 days
- Only useful for very small spaces (under 10′ x 10′)
Hopefully by now you should be equipped with the knowledge to buy the best bedroom dehumidifier for you and your family.
All that’s left to do is to buy it — and enjoy plenty of happy night’s sleep in the best quality air!