Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
One thing we get asked about repeatedly is buying the best mattress for heavy people.
Choosing the right mattress can be a minefield — there are so many different factors to take into account in order to find a mattress with the right support for our unique bodies.
Weight certainly plays a role in this, as the heavier someone is, the more support their body needs at night.
But this needn’t be a stressful complication when it comes to choosing the best mattress for heavy people.
Read on to find out more about what kind of mattress to choose if you’re in one of the heavier weight ranges, right up to the best mattress for obese sizes.
- 1 How are Mattresses for Obese People Different?
- 2 The Best Mattress for Heavy People Reviews
How are Mattresses for Obese People Different?
When considering what makes the best mattress for heavy people, there are many characteristics that can make all the difference.
First up is mattress firmness. The heavier someone is, the more the mattress will compress under their weight.
It’s for this reason that what may seem like a firm mattress to an average weight person will feel less firm for a heavyweight sleeper. Generally, obese people will be more comfortable and have a better night’s sleep in a firmer bed.
Because mattresses compress more beneath a heavier weight, it is also important to bear in mind the thickness of the mattress.
Many mattresses are available with a thickness of ten inches, but heavy and overweight people will generally be better supported by a ten inch mattress featuring high tech components, or with a standard mattress of at least a twelve inch thickness.
The thicker the better, essentially.
We all move around as we sleep, and part of what makes a good mattress for anyone is a good overall level of support no matter what your preferred sleeping position. And that goes for heavy people as well.
Equally, a mattress should give excellent support whilst at the same time alleviating pressure points which could otherwise become painful — this is particularly important for heavier people.
Strong edge support is crucial not only to keep you comfortable and stop you rolling off the bed in the middle of the night, but also to prevent sagging and improve the longevity of the mattress.
Now let’s get right into it — what’s the best mattress for heavy people?
The Best Mattress for Heavy People Reviews
If you can get over the somewhat unappealing name (and the normal BMI model!), this Ultimate Sleep mattress is one of the best mattresses for obese people on the market right now.
It’s been specially designed from people between 300 and 400 lbs, so is very much a specialist product.
Cleverly constructed from a combination of Premium Ultra Cell High Resiliency foam for maximum support plus a five inch layer of state-of-the-art Talalay Latex foam for additional strong support with added comfort and cushioning of pressure points, this ten inch thick mattress is specially geared toward overweight and heavy people.
This mattress has excellent edge to edge support, and is covered in a Micro-Lux Cotton Blended fabric which is soft to the touch, durable and features a 4 way stretch to cope with movement.
The Talalay latex is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant.
- Provides excellent support for even very heavy weights of up to 400lbs
- Great customer service from Ultimate Sleep
- Good level of firm support
- Latex density is based on customer preference for utmost comfort
- Easy to get in and out of bed
- Reduces joint and back pain
- Good value for money
- Durable, thanks to the non-fatiguing UltraCell High Resiliency base foam
- May be too firm for some people
- Latex can sometimes have a strange initial odor
While this hasn’t been especially designed for heavy people, it’s been very well reviewed by people carrying extra weight. That’s down to the impressive 3.3 lb density memory foam and the whopping 7 inches of base support.
The innovative pearl gel infused memory foam that forms the top layer of this triple layer mattress is designed to keep you cool as well as comfortable throughout the night.
The middle layer creates air flow to further boost the cooling properties of the pearl gel infused layer. The final seven inch thick layer is where most of the all important support comes from, in the form of a dense support foam.
This Advanced Sleep Solutions Pearl Gel Memory Foam Mattress also comes with a soft, machine washable cover.
- 10 inch thickness with excellent support
- Cooling properties to keep your body at the correct temperature for restful sleep
- Good for back and joint pain sufferers
- Very comfortable
- Affordable price
- No unpleasant odors
- No harmful chemicals
- Removable cover is difficult to get back on
The Medicoil HD 3500 Mattress by Therapedic is built to withstand up to 350 pounds on each side thanks to its layers of resilient high density foams and natural latex along with heavy duty steel coils that support even the biggest body types.
It also includes high tech edge support, meaning extra durability and stability for you as the sleeper.
Unique TheraTuft inner-tufting technology uses hand stitching to keep everything inside the mattress firmly placed and compressed to just the right level, and the silky surface fabric has antimicrobial properties.
- Flippable mattress for additional longevity
- Very durable
- High quality and has a luxurious feel
- Resists sagging
- Fantastic support including edge support
- Impressive 25 year warranty
- Very comfortable
- Orthopedic top layer is easy on joints
- Environmentally friendly components
- Impressive combined capacity of 700 lbs
Like the Advanced Sleep Solutions mattress above, this Sure2Sleep product hasn’t been specially designed for overweight people, but it has plenty of features that make it a excellent purchase for people of heavier weights.
And, as a bonus, doesn’t carry the hefty price tag that the specialist mattresses do!
What particularly stands out for this Sure2Sleep mattress is the outstanding edge support which is created by using stiff foam edging all the way around the outside of the mattress.
As well as a gel memory foam top layer which helps keep your body at the right temperature for sleeping, there is a dense foam base layer to ensure maximum support, plus a third dense yet comfortable foam layer sandwiched between the two.
This mattress also features a comfy, lightly padded stretch fabric cover for additional luxury.
- Eases painful pressure points
- Helps alleviate aches and pains
- No unpleasant odor
- Extremely comfortable
- Good customer service from Sure2Sleep
- Choice of medium firm or plush firmness levels
- Edge support is very effective
- Excellent quality for the price
- Particularly heavy people may find it a little on the soft side
- Doesn’t keep cool throughout the night
This is another mattress aimed at a general audience rather than just heavy people, but it’s hard to pass up on the 10 inches of sheer support — not to mention the attractive low price tag.
In lieu of using nasty chemicals when creating their foams, Zinus prefer to use natural, fragrant oils and plant extracts to leave them freshly scented.
This very firm ten inch thick mattress combines multiple layers of memory foam strategically placed throughout the mattress, topped with a two inch layer of up-to-the-minute responsive Viscolatex foam which gives great comfort yet provides good bounce and support.
This is all topped off with a deluxe removable fabric cover that offers a smooth and comfortable surface to sleep on.
- Extremely affordable low price
- High degree of firm back support
- Very comfortable
- Excellent performance for the minimal financial outlay
- Effectively relieves pressure points
- Viscolatex top layer springs back like real latex
- No disagreeable odors
- Strong edge support
- The memory foam can run a little warm over the course of the night
- Takes some time to completely expand after unpacking (maximum of around 48 hours)
And that’s your lot! Which do you think is the best mattress for heavy people?