Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
Finding the best crib mattress pad for your nursery is an often neglected purchase for many new parents.
We get so excited about finding the perfect crib, that it’s easy to forget to buy the item that your little one will actually be sleeping on! And by the time you do remember, it’s panic stations as you rush to properly kit out the crib.
But never fear, we’ve compiled a list of the best crib mattress pads on the market right now, as well as an in-depth buying guide so you can be certain that you product you buy is the best for your baby.
Let’s get started!
- 1 What is a Crib Mattress Pad?
- 2 What to Look for in the Best Crib Mattress Pads
- 3 The Best Crib Mattress Pad Reviews
- 4 Conclusion
What is a Crib Mattress Pad?
When you kit out your baby’s nursery, you’ll likely be buying a crib and a mattress to sleep on.
But, just like adults like to have an extra layer between themselves and their mattress, a crib mattress pad is a thin protective pad that lies on top of the mattress and underneath the bed sheet.
This provides an extra layer of cushiony comfort for your baby — and the best mattress pads will also be kitted out to be waterproof and hypoallergenic.
Babies often have very sensitive skin at their tender ages, so a thin protective layer between them and the more robust mattress is, for many parents, a necessary protective device that will avoid any nasty skin irritations or injuries.
Plus, providing it’s a washable pad, it’s much easier to wash and remove urine, vomit and other nappy stains from a crib mattress pad than from the mattress itself.
Any bacterial growth from the crib mattress will have a protective layer between it and your baby when you use a mattress pad, plus it will mean the mattress requires less frequent cleanings.
The Different Types of Mattress Pads
Crib mattress pads can generally be divided into two camps: the thin, cushioned pads and the more practical sheet savers.
The sheet savers can be placed either on top of the bed sheet or underneath it, while the pads will always be placed between the mattress and the bed sheet.
Which type you prefer to buy is totally up to your own parental preferences. The sheet savers are really only best for doing exactly that — saving your sheets from any baby accidents — while the cushioned pads lend a modicum of comfort to the mattress.
What to Look for in the Best Crib Mattress Pads
The best crib mattress pad for your baby will provide a number of benefits and — of course — will be completely safe.
As parents, you want to be sure that your baby is enjoying plenty of restorative sleep and is as happy as can be in their crib or bassinet.
Here are the features you should be looking out for when baby mattress pad shopping:
- Baby safe
When we say ‘baby safe’, we mean a mattress pad that stays in place under the sheet and that won’t alter or affect in any way your baby’s breathing.
We all know how wriggly babies can be so it’s imperative that the crib mattress pad is able to stay in place under the bed sheet. Safety first!
Now, without further ado…
The Best Crib Mattress Pad Reviews
This is one of the most popular crib mattress pads on the market, and it’s no wonder: made with a long lasting and breathable microfiber fabric, it promises to keep your little one warm in the cold season and cool in the hot. Plus, it’s sold at a very reasonable price.
It’s also hypoallergenic, making it a good choice if your infant has allergies or sensitive skin. It also promises to wick away moisture — ideal!
- Made with microfiber fabric, which Nursery Necessities claim has benefits over bamboo and cotton materials
- Very durable thanks to the tightly woven microfiber threads
- Quilted and soft
- Doesn’t bunch up or make any crinkling sounds if your baby wriggles during sleep
- Hypoallergenic and antimicrobial
- Fits easily to a crib mattress
- Contains no flame retardants, phthalates, PVC, vinyl or BPA
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
- 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee
- Although it’s quilted, it is quite thin so won’t change the comfort level of the crib mattress too much
Soft to the touch, antibacterial and hypoallergenic — no wonder parents love this Baby and Brooke crib mattress pad! We also like that it doesn’t contain any plastic so your baby won’t be woken by crinkling noises if they wake in the night.
A word of warning, however: although it is advertized as ‘organic’, it’s clear that only the top bamboo fabric (what your baby will be sleeping on) is actually organic. The sides of the pad are made from polyester, which allows the pad to fit snugly to the crib mattress.
- Super soft and breathable bamboo fabric
- 100% waterproof and very absorbent
- Surface is made from organic premium bamboo terry sleep surface
- Fits well to crib mattress
- Antibacterial and hypoallergenic
- Moisture wicking fabric
- Contains no phthalates, BPA, latex, fire retardants, PVC, vinyl or lead
- No initial odors
- Easy to clean
- Misleading ‘organic’ name
- Can’t be tumble dried
If you’re looking for the best crib mattress pad, we’re not sure that you can go too far wrong with this premium product from PUREgrace.
Made from all-natural TENCEL (Eucalyptus based pure fibers), this is an incredibly high quality product that’s soft, waterproof and hypoallergenic. It’s also got a whopping 10-year warranty attached to it.
- TENCEL fabric is grown free of pesticides and herbicides
- Luxury soft, padded surface that doesn’t lose its shape after washing
- Easy to secure to the crib mattress thanks to the deep-pocketed reinforced corners
- Quiet and safe waterproof layer
- Grows with your baby (and will even fit all standard toddler mattresses!)
- Free from vinyl, PVC, phthalates, BPA and solvents
- Machine washable and can be tumble dried
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- 10 year warranty
- Padding is a little thin so it won’t revolutionize comfort levels
While not as luxurious as some of the other best crib mattress pads we’ve reviewed, it’s difficult to quibble with this sealy pad thanks to its very low price tag.
It’s number one selling point is that it repels stains and keeps your crib mattress pristine — even in the face of some little accidents! This mattress pad also stays secure to the mattress and is hypoallergenic and waterproof. It does exactly what it says on the tin.
- 100% waterproof protection
- Machine washable and dryer-friendly
- Stain repel release technology
- Very inexpensive
- Deep pocketed skirts that help it fit snugly to the crib mattress
- Quilted hypoallergenic filling
- Free from PVC and lead
- Not as thick or soft as other crib mattress pads
- Not as durable as other pads on this list
This luxuriously designed product is one of the best crib mattress pads on the market, benefiting from 4 layers of protection, and guaranteeing zero liquid penetration to your baby’s crib mattress.
The Dry Defender pad is particularly popular with parents who prefer naturally effective baby supplies, as it’s made of organic, non-toxic, soft, unbleached cotton. We wish they made it in an adult size!
- Made from organic, non-toxic, unbleached cotton
- 100% waterproof with zero liquid penetration
- Top is hypoallergenic, made from organic knit cotton jersey
- Super soft to the touch
- Four layer design = four layers of waterproof protection
- Breathable waterproof layer
- Inner polyester layer is super absorbent
- Fits snugly to crib mattress
- Is machine washable and dryer-friendly
- Needs to be washed on cold to avoid shrinkage
- A little thin
Babies spend an average of 16 hours a day in their crib, so it’s important that you buy the best crib mattress pad available. Hopefully these 5 choices will steer you on the right course!