What’s the latest obsession in the sleep hacking community, you ask?
Silk sleep masks.
Sounds fancy, huh? Well, not only are they a wonderful nighttime luxury, but they can also have a tangible effect on the quality of your sleep.
The constant distractions of busy lives and less than ideal sleeping conditions can be a huge obstacle in the search for the essential restorative slumber we all need to recharge our batteries and give us the energy required for the following day. But there are good sleep solutions available — one of the simplest of which are sleep masks.
Some of the best and most luxurious sleep masks are made from soft, comfortable – and breathable – silk.
A good silk sleep mask blocks out the maximum of light and visual disturbance to give you good night’s sleep. The light, natural fabric is gentle on the skin and has the added advantage of keeping you looking fabulous while you snooze.
Plus, not only are silk sleep masks a great everyday solution, they are also super convenient when travelling if you want to get some shut-eye.
Let’s find out more…
- 1 What’s the Science Behind Sleep Masks?
- 2 The Benefits of a Silk Sleep Mask
- 3 The Best Silk Sleep Masks
What’s the Science Behind Sleep Masks?
Sleep masks work by blocking out the maximum of light and visual distractions which can prevent the deep sleep that we need to keep body and brain in tip top condition.
Even when we sleep our bodies respond to light. Special cells in our eyes react to light waves and tell our body clock whether or not it’s time to sleep – too much light and our bodies don’t want to shut down.
Our feeling of sleepiness is controlled by the hormone melatonin which is produced only at night when it is dark. This unique hormone is released by the pineal gland deep in the brain, and production naturally peaks between 3 – 5am. It is melatonin that controls our circadian rhythm, so by cutting out light and keeping the sleeping environment dark, sleep masks instruct our brains that it’s time to rest. This is essential for keeping our body clock on a regular, 24 hour cycle.
And there’s more. Melatonin also works as an antioxidant which helps prevent damage to DNA from aging, chemicals, and harmful UV rays – and ultimately reduces the risk of cancer.
The Benefits of a Silk Sleep Mask
You may be thinking that’s all very well, but why opt for a silk mask over a normal sleep mask?
While a high quality sleep mask of any material will help overhaul your sleep, silk has a few additional benefits:
- It possesses natural temperature regulating properties that allow it to keep cool in warm climates and warm in cooler ones
- It absorbs sweat and other moisture easily
- But is also odor resistant
- And the tight protein structure keeps the moisture close to your skin, so you’ll wake up hydrated and with fewer fine lines
- It’s hypoallergenic and antimicrobial thanks to its natural protein structure
- It’s light and soft to the touch
You had us at fewer wrinkles…
The Best Silk Sleep Masks
This best selling silk sleep mask has a host of features to promote good sleep.
The large size shuts out the maximum amount of light whilst the two sturdy adjustable elastic straps keep it comfortably but firmly in place — even if you toss and turn during the night — while alleviating the pressure on your eyes.
The 100% pure mulberry silk material helps keep your skin hydrated during the night and can reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- Hypoallergenic – great for sensitive skin
- Genuinely very comfortable – soft and exerts no pressure on the eyes or nose
- Adjustable – gives a good fit no matter what size or shape your head
- Suitable for migraine sufferers
- Effectively blocks out light – helps melatonin production
- Hydrating – reduces the appearance of fine lines
- Has been known to leave traces of black dye on white cotton pillows
- A little heavy compared to other silk sleep masks on this list
A neat black satin carry pouch comes as part of the deal with the Hamalaya natural silk sleep mask which makes it easy to carry if you’re using it on the go.
This lightweight, 100% pure silk sleep mask is ultra soft and comfortable and has an adjustable single strap to give you the best fit possible. It’s much lighter on the fact than the Alaska Bear silk sleep mask above.
Although it keeps your skin hydrated all night long, the breathability of the silk ensures that you never feel damp or that you’re storing odors.
Could this be the best silk sleep mask?
- Effectively blocks most light for relaxing sleep
- Padded 100% silk design gently cushions eyes to relieve pressure
- Adjustable head strap for security in varying sleep positions
- Easily transportable thanks to the carry pouch
- Very lightweight on the face
- Well made and durable
- Smooth and comfortable
- The flat shape can sometimes let a little light in around the nose area
This amazing silk sleep mask from family run company Adbama offers an awesome 6-month money back guarantee if you’re not happy with your purchase (we’re pretty sure you will be though…).
Made with the finest natural 100% mulberry silk and finely stitched, this super-soft sleep mask has a secure fit to block out light while remaining kind to the skin and keeping it hydrated.
The outside of the mask is made from 22 momme mulberry silk and the interior filled with 100% mulberry silk floss for the ultimate in luxury sleep experiences.
- Very comfortable on the face: smooth and lightweight
- Adjustable head strap for all head sizes
- Total blackout for quality sleep
- Six month money back guarantee if not completely satisfied
- Dark colored silk on the face side so it won’t be marked by any residual makeup
- The stitching is so fine that you can’t feel it on your face
- Well made and durable
- Comes in a zipper case for easy portability
- Strap can sometimes loosen during sleep
- Some users noticed mild eyelid pressure
Marketed specifically towards women (although we’re confident that anyone, regardless of gender, will enjoy it), this Sleep Fountain silk sleep mask is designed to rejuvenate the skin and eyes, while also providing an effective black-out solution with their 100% mulberry silk fiber product.
Revolutionary technology aims to rejuvenate the skin when using the Sleep Fountain silk sleep mask. As well as cutting out light, the copper ion technology promotes skin cell growth and reduces eye puffiness leaving you looking and feeling refreshed when you wake.
While we imagine these benefits will be valued in any environment, it seems that they’d come in particularly handy during air travel, as planes are so infamous for drying out the skin and eyes. Anything to counteract these effects must be a good thing, right?
- Provides a dark sleep environment
- Copper ion technology rejuvenates skin cells around eyes and on forehead, leaving them plump and hydrated
- Reduces eye puffiness
- Comes with ear plugs and case
- Flexible with adjustable head strap
- Copper is odor resistant so it stays fresh
- Lifetime warranty
- Very lightweight
- The small buckle on the strap can be uncomfortable if not positioned correctly
- Users are divided over the reported skin benefits
Sleek and chic, the Purefly 100% silk sleep mask is lightweight and comfortable, allowing you to sleep soundly and undisturbed with minimal light intrusion.
The elastic adjustable head strap will ensure that it fits you regardless of your head size and shape, and there’s no annoying buckle like with the Sleep Fountain mask above.
Soft and smooth, we don’t think you’ll regret purchasing this mulberry silk sleep mask.
- Blocks out all light
- Natural, hypoallergenic fibers allow skin to breathe during sleep
- Smooth and soft on the skin – ideal for sensitive skin
- Adjustable elastic head strap allows for a comfortable fit
- Attractive, lightweight design
- No pressure on the eyes
- Comes with a pair of ear plugs
- Some users report smudges of black dye on pillowcases
- It doesn’t come with a case
So those are our picks for the best silk sleep mask reviews. Next time you’re tossing and turning because your bedroom isn’t dark enough, do yourself a favor and try a sleep mask!
Have you used a silk sleep mask?